Senior Satellite Communication Systems Engineer
Avanti Communications is the leading Ka-band high throughput satellite capacity partner to the communications industry in EMEA – extending and guaranteeing coverage for defence missions, enterprise solutions and critical public services. Through the HYLAS satellite fleet and partners in 118 countries, Avanti provides dedicated fixed and flexible-beam satellite connectivity, with extensive coverage across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Avanti has invested $1.2bn in a network that incorporates orbital slots in the Ka-band spectrum, satellites, ground stations, data centres and a fibre ring.
We are proud to be leading the way in connecting the unconnected as we continue with our journey of delivering on our unique point of view on the world to ‘Be More’. We believe everyone has the potential to achieve their ambitions and we are determined to continue in creating opportunities to support this.
Come and join Avanti and be part of the team that will make the difference leveraging our satellite technology that improves access to education, medicine and helps create a safe environment to live and work. Surely everyone deserves this.
The Senior Satellite Communication Systems Engineer will hold a technical role within the SRM, based at the one of the Avanti office locations in London or Cyprus.
The post holder will be responsible for undertaking spectrum resource management, communications payload management, and satellite communications engineering, link analysis, dimensioning and troubleshooting tasks in support of Avanti’s operational and tactical objectives. Proactiveness, task ownership and attention to detail will all be key traits for successful execution of the role.
The post holder will act as an interdepartmental engineering interface, maintaining close relationships with the Sales and Marketing, Service NOC, Gateway Operations, Satellite Operations, Regulatory and Procurement teams, to ensure that Technology fulfil company objectives.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Communications Payload Engineering;
- Link budget analysis;
- Transmission planning;
- Payload Redundancy Strategy planning and processes;
- Preparation of operational processes documentation;
- Definition and communication of detailed operational activity plans, scheduling and oversight of activity execution.
- Coordination between all Technology functions as required for system-wide operations;
- End-to-end link RF performance analysis, investigation and troubleshooting including satellite and ground segment elements (Gateway and User Terminal)
- System performance monitoring and analysis, identification of potential issues, root cause analysis and proposal of mitigation/correction steps.
- User terminal specification reviews, in coordination with Avanti’s Regulatory group, for provision of access permission on the Avanti satellite network.
- Provision of technical support to the Products and Pre-Sales teams/functions. This may include review and decomposition of end user requirements and assessment of how those can best be met in terms of link design and dimensioning.
- Provision of technical support to the Sales, Strategy and Marketing teams/functions.
- Contribution to the development, maintenance and improvement of existing and planned SRM software tools used for modelling and simulation of end-to-end system performance
Skills & Qualifications
- Proficiency in link budget analysis;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a satellite operations environment focusing on satellite communications engineering and satellite resource management, transmission planning and and link design and dimensioning; Experience in Ka-band satellite operations specifically would be advantageous.
- Good understanding of satellite communications engineering with knowledge of RF, spectrum resource allocation/management, digital communications, air interface communications standards such as DVB-S2/S2X, DVB-RCS as well as digital modulation schemes/techniques;
- Excellent understanding of payload design and operation, including power and thermal budgets and constraints;
- Experience developing systems documentation, test plans and procedures as well as operational processes;
- Ability to work independently and effectively, co-coordinating tasks and responsibilities;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Fluency in English both written and oral.
- Excellent communications and inter-personal skills (written and verbal);
- Practical experience in the commissioning and testing of satellite systems – satellite and ground based;
- Business awareness and acumen;
- Programming/software engineering skills with knowledge of Matlab.
- Experience in designing and/or assessing software, firmware and hardware solutions within an overall system design;
- A Competitive Salary, pension scheme, and life assurance & private medical insurance
- A generous and highly achievable bonus scheme – paid annually based on individual and company performance against targets
- Along with 25 Days Annual Leave (excluding bank holidays) plus an Additional Day on us for your Birthday
- Buy or sell up to 3 holiday days per annum
- Free access to the Employee Assistance Programme
- Plus, a variety of excellent Employee Funded Benefits available to you
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.
By applying for this position, you consent to your personal information being shared with our recruitment outsourcing partner. For further information please visit https://www.avanti.space/privacy-policy/