Our Client is a leading defence organisation. They are proud of the role they play in supporting the Armed Forces who protect our nations. They partner with governments to work together towards a common goal, defending our freedom.
Salary: Circa £45,000 to £55,000 depending on experience
Hybrid working pattern: Where possible, they will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working; typically 2 to 3 days per week on site.
In order to support two major programmes, there are a series of dedicated lab based, ground and flight trials to be conducted throughout the I phase. These range from Spiral Development Firing Trials to Typhoon Integration ground trials and dedicated trials support.
Due to the In-Service phase of both products lifecycle there are always emerging needs to be supported. These activities require someone to engage in planning, preparation and conduct of trials so to conduct trials in the most expedient way.
Note: DV in place or a willingness to apply for DV is a must.
Due to the nature of their business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.
A series of Flight Trials (2024-2025) commencing with gaining captive carry clearance on to the Typhoon FGR4 platform and controlled termination and timed termination firing campaigns.
Definition and conducting of all ground and flight trial activities. Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Prepare trials documents (Flight Trials Proving Plan, Trials specs, Flight trials HA, Telemetry Observers Brief
- Prepare for and lead Trials Readiness Reviews and Product Trials Clearance Certificates.
- Support Air carry trial flight from RAF Coningsby and trial at the Range facilities
- Preparation and publishing of Trials Conduct reports
- Lead a multi disciplined team to deliver the Air Carry and firing trials to prove TBUS coverage to meet the Proving Requirements agreed with the Systems Team.
- Contracting and management of the Banshee drone supplier (likely to be QinetiQ).
- Definition of required trials facilities, targets, instrumentation and functional test requirements for all flight trials activities.
- Generation of:
- Firing Trials Range requirements
- Movement of the Missiles and associated equipment to the Trials facility
- Facility requirements (office, live build, security, storage etc.)
- Target requirements
- Range Safety Submission, including Weapon Danger Area, Flight Termination proposal (acceptability thereof)
- Telemetry bandwidth and coverage requirements
- Initial Trial Hazard Analysis
- Environmental Impact (Range requirements)
- Liaison with Ranges – in conjunction with the MoD delivery Teams – via regular Flight Trials Working Groups.
- Provide support as required to the Aircraft Integration Work Package and BAES for trials aircraft integration.
- Provide support as required to the generation of MoD Delivery Team safety documentation.
- Generation of all trial documentation, including PTCC (to cover both suitability of hardware under test and trial readiness).
- Definition of appropriate safety instructions and procedures for all flight trials activities.
- Budget, Schedule and Resource planning (including maintenance and statusing of L3 Plans). Management of technical and schedule risk in accordance with the project Risk Management Plan.
- Input into relevant WGs (safety, performance etc.) regarding all flight trials.
This role will need to work closely with the wider Engineering teams to ensure that the flight and firing trials deliver the information required to further the progressive development of Weapon System hardware and software and provide appropriate validation evidence.
Experience / Knowledge / Ability Requirements:
- Experience of working on Firing trials (ideally Air).
- Good interpersonal skills.
- A keen interest and proven record of developing others.
- Experience of UK MoD trials clearance processes.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with external range and facility suppliers
- Work package management skills (work package planning, risk management) and an ability to operate within budget, timescale and resource constraints.
What they can offer you:
- Company bonus of up to £2,500 (based on company performance and will vary year to year)
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%
- Annual salary review
- Paid overtime
- Up to 15 days flexi leave
- 25 days annual leave (plus holiday purchase)
- Parental benefits including up to 26 weeks full pay for shared parental leave
- Possible relocation available
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking and more
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
They respect new perspectives and experiences, and they value collaborative ways of working. They are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout the recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Please Note: Our Client requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the Personnel Security Team.